Monday, October 30, 2006

Staying home for Halloween

but feeling really guilty about it.

Started thinking about it this weekend. Eric has his long day on Tuesdays - goes to work by 8 in the morning and doesn't get home until after 7, so I'd be trying to do the whole trick-or-treat, or take the boys to the community center, by myself. Not impossible, but not exactly fun either.

Guthrie has no interest in Halloween. I've tried to get him excited about it, but he doesn't get it at all. I've told him he goes door to door getting candy, and he said, "I already had some." The library had a "practice run" at Story Hour last week, but after he went to the first station, that was all the candy he wanted. When someone tried to give him some more, he actually threw it out of his basket. He doesn't want to put on a costume, either.

Turner obviously doesn't care one lick about Halloween, or anything else. I've always thought it as pretty lame, too, when parents take tiny babies trick-or-treating. If they can't eat the candy, they shouldn't get any.

So, I think we've decided we're going to stay home and pass out candy tomorrow night. We're carving a pumpkin tonight, going to make some sort of Halloween treat, and after Story Hour this morning I'm taking the boys to buy candy. (We also have to get some long PJs and pants for Guthrie. It's still in the 70s and 80s during the day, but at night it drops into the 50s and gets downright chilly. If we keep the windows open at night, we don't need the a/c during the day.)

I love Halloween. I really, really do. I love dressing up in costumes, eating pumpkin seeds. So I feel bad about the fact that we're staying home, which is silly when these kids Just. Don't. Care.

I'm also very curious to see the celebrations for Days of the Dead. Always fascinated by the holiday, and looking forward to seeing it for myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're staying in as well. I let Max have a couple of KitKats tonight and I think he'll get a thrill out of seeing all the older kids at the door.

I *whisper* never managed to get a costume together for him either. Bad mama.